Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Yummy Recipe Wednesday! (Four Bean Casserole)

Welcome everyone to another Yummy Recipe Wednesday. I hope everyone is having a good week so far and is looking forward to the weekend as much as I am. Today I bring you a recipe for a dish that I remember my grandma making a lot as I was growing up. It’s called a “casserole” but it’s essentially just a chili which you can bake in a casserole dish in the oven or cook in a slow cooker. With the sugar, brown sugar, and molasses this is certainly not a healthy dish by any sense of the imagination but I promise you it is super delicious and you’ll have friends and family begging you to make more. I do remember my grandma adding about 2 lb of bacon to this instead of the 1/2 lb the recipe calls for and I also remember it being way better with more bacon. Of course what isn’t better with bacon and more bacon? Personally I think one of the best things about this recipe is that it’s so easy to make. Don’t let the list of ingredients fool you. Give this a try and let me know how big of a hit it was for you in the comments below.

Four Bean Casserole
https://sites.google.com/site/bbqmore2/four-bean-casserole?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1

  • 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
  • 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
  • 1/4 cup Ketchup
  • 1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Sorghum or other molasses
  • 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Mustard
  • 1 can (16 oz) Pork and Beans
  • 1 can (16 oz) Butter Beans, drained
  • 1 can (16 oz) Kidney Beans, drained
  • 1 can (16 oz) Pinto Beans, drained
  • 1/2 lb Bacon

1. In a dutch oven or large pot cook the bacon until done but not crispy then remove from the pan and cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces; drain any excess bacon grease leaving enough to cook the onions with.
2. Add the onions to the pot and cook until they are tender.
3. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up and stirring as it cooks; drain off any excess grease.
4. Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir to combine; transfer to a casserole or slow cooker.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour; if using a slow cooker, cook on HIGH for 1 hour then reduce to LOW and cook for 2 to 4 hours longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment