Friday, September 20, 2013

Gluten Free Friday! (Buffalo Style Meatballs)

Hello again everyone and welcome to my new semi-regular feature I’m calling “Gluten Free Friday”. With my wife’s recent realization that she has a gluten allergy, I’ve been all over this gluten free thing and its fascinating what you can find and make that’s gluten free these days. Most grocery stores have gluten free sections now and where I’m from we also have several large health food grocery stores that are loaded with gluten free items. Anyway, I thought this feature would be a nice change of pace from my usual Free Recipe Wednesday which is usually not so healthy (but still delicious). One of the nice things too about gluten free recipes is that most of them are also low carb.

Today’s recipe is low carb and gluten free and looks delicious. My wife and I are big fans of buffalo wings and will eat just about anything “buffalo” such as buffalo chicken, buffalo dip, and of course buffalo wings themselves. Hopefully I’ll give them a try soon and let you know what I think. In the meantime, try them yourself and post a comment below letting me know what you thought. Stay tuned for more Gluten Free Fridays in the near future.

Buffalo Style Meatballs

For the Meatballs
  • 1 lb Ground Chicken or Turkey
  • 2 oz Cream Cheese, softened
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tbsp Chopped Celery
  • 3 Tbsp Crumbled Blue Cheese
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper

For the Sauce
  • 1/2 stick (4 oz) Unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot

Note: Do not add salt! The hot sauce and the blue cheese are already salty so you don’t need more.

1. Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Form into 1 inch, cocktail/bite size, meatballs; place meatballs onto a greased cookie sheet.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine Frank’s Red Hot and butter; heat until butter is melted and sauce is hot then set aside.
5. After 10 minutes in the oven, remove the meatballs and carefully dunk them in the buffalo sauce.
6. Return sauced meatballs to the cookie sheet and bake for another 12 minutes.

*For extra saucy meatballs: pour any remaining sauce over the meatballs at the end of the final 12 minutes and then cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.

Approx nutrition info per meatball: 132 calories, 11g fat, .6 net carbs, 8g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment