Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Free Recipe Wednesday! (Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos)

Hello once again friends and food lovers! I hope everyone had a good week while I was gone on vacation and enjoyed my first vacation post reviewing Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ in Kansas City. I have more where that came from but have been busy trying to get back into the swing of things with work and everyday life. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday I will post my review of the food and service we had at Copeland’s Cheesecake Bistro while we were in New Orleans. I’ve also got pictures of 4 awesome dishes and 1 dessert that I had while we were on the cruise. Now let’s go on with today’s recipe.

Today’s “recipe” is something I like to make as often as I can. I use the quotations around the word recipe because you’re not really making these as much as you are preparing and cooking these. In the BBQ smoking community these are affectionately known as Atomic Buffalo Turds, or ABTs for short. There are 2 ways you can cook these jalapenos… grilled or smoked. I’ve included both methods below since there are slight variations depending on your cooking method of choice. Also, while plain cream cheese in these is awesome, I personally like to use Honey Nut Cream Cheese. The slight sweetness from the Honey Nut Cream Cheese works really well with the jalapeno flavor. My wife and I have also used the Garden Vegetable cream cheese which is nice as well. One more note… if you seed these jalapenos well, they’re really not even spicy. They’re mildly spicy at worst. Give them a try, you won’t be disappointed. As always, feel free to post comments below.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos

  • 1 (8 oz) pkg Cream Cheese
  • 1 pkg Sliced Bacon
  • 6 Fresh Jalapeno Peppers (if grilling)
  • 10-12 Fresh Jalapeno Peppers (if smoking)

Warning:
Wear gloves when preparing the jalapenos, you’ll regret it if you don’t.


Cooking Method #1 (Grilling)
1. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
2. Slice the 6 jalapenos in half and remove all seeds.
3. Spread cream cheese to fill jalapeno halves.
4. Wrap cream cheese filled jalapenos with bacon; secure with a toothpick.
5. Place jalapenos on the grill; cook until the bacon is crispy.


Cooking Method #2 (Smoking)
1. Preheat smoker to 250-275 degrees; add wood chips of choice.
2. Slice the jalapenos crosswise 2/3 of the way through, just below the stem, and then slice lengthwise on one side to open up the jalapenos; remove seeds with a small paring knife or small melon baller.
3. Stuff cream cheese into each jalapeno.
4. Wrap cream cheese filled jalapenos with bacon; secure with 2 toothpicks.
5. Place jalapenos into the smoker and smoke for approximately 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment