Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Double Free Recipe Wednesday! (Fire-Roasted Tomato & Bacon Dip and Toffee Pecan Chex Mix)

If you're a follower of my blog you know that I post a new free recipe every Wednesday.  As you might have noticed, I didn't post a free recipe last Wednesday.  It was a busy week so I didn't really have time to post a new recipe.  I was planning to go ahead and post it on Thursday but then blogger had issues and no one could post anything.  With that all being said, today is officially Double Free Recipe Wednesday!  2 for 1, what a deal!

Recipe #1
The first recipe I have for you today is my Fire-Roasted Tomato & Bacon Dip.  This is actually my own recipe.  Most creamy dips have some sort of Mayo and/or Sour Cream base so I went with both and then I experimented with other ingredients and seasonings to get to this.  The only problem I have currently is that it is a little on the thin side but after sitting in the fridge overnight it does thicken up a little bit.  I'm working on a fix right now to make the dip a little thicker.  If you have any ideas, please feel free to post feedback. The dip is delicious none the less so give it a try and let me know what you think. Recipe #2 follows after this one.

Fire-Roasted Tomato & Bacon Dip
  • 1 cup Mayo
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 2-3 thin green onions, chopped
  • 1 pkg (2.5-3oz) Real Bacon Pieces
  • 1 can diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes, well drained and chopped
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
Combine Mayo, Sour Cream, Green Onions, Paprika, and Garlic Powder in a bowl and mix together.  Add drained and chopped Fire-Roasted Tomatoes and Real Bacon pieces. Mix everything thoroughly and refrigerate several hours or overnight for best flavor. Dip will thicken a little when refrigerated.

TIP: The dip is on the thin side to begin with so drain the tomatoes real well and then after you chop them add them back to the strainer and drain them again.


Recipe #2
Today's second recipe is Toffee Pecan Chex Mix. This is a fairly simple recipe and is a delicious snack. It's great for family get-togethers, work parties, or just as a snack at home. You can really use just about any kind of nut in this recipe but I find that pecans give it the best flavor. Give it a try and as always let me know what you think. 

Toffee Pecan Chex Mix
  • 6 Cups Chex Mix (2 Cups each kind)
  • 2 Cups Pecans
  • 3/4 Cup Melted Butter
  • 3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar

Combine Chex Mix and Pecans thoroughly in a large bowl. Place the Melted Butter and Brown Sugar in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil for 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and quickly stir mixture into the bowl with the Chex and Pecans. Spread the contents of the bowl onto a cookie sheet and bake at 360 degrees for 8 minutes stirring half way through to prevent sticking. Timing depends on the oven so you may have to bake longer than 8 minutes, just taste them each time you stir so you don’t accidentally burn them.

No comments:

Post a Comment