Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Free Recipe Wednesday! (Deep Fried Pickles)

Welcome friends to another Free Recipe Wednesday. I hope everyone has had a good week so far. Before I forget to mention it, my vacation starts this Saturday so there won’t be a Free Recipe Wednesday post next week. I will be in Progresso, Mexico that day and coincidentally it’s me and my wife’s 4 year anniversary that day as well.

So today’s recipe, Deep Fried Pickles, is something that I really enjoy but have never tried to make. I order these at just about any restaurant we go to that sells them. The only bad ones I’ve ever had were from Captain D’s but they’re like the fast food of the seafood world so I guess I shouldn’t have expected much. If you’ve never tried Fried Pickles you’re really missing out. I absolutely recommend you make these or at least try them next time you see them on a menu somewhere. The ones I’ve had in the restaurants are mildly spicy but if you decide to make these yourself and you don’t like spicy food just omit the cayenne pepper and hot pepper sauce. Enjoy and as always comments are welcome below.

Deep Fried Pickles

  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vinegar-Based Hot Pepper Sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon Seasoning Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 cup Cornmeal
  • 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 (32 ounce) jar Dill Pickle Slices
  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Remove pickles from the jar and drain on a paper towel.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of the flour, buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, seasoning salt and garlic powder.
3. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon black pepper.
4. Preheat oil in a deep fryer or pot to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
5. Dip drained pickles into wet egg mixture and then dredge them in the dry flour mixture.
6. Deep fry until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.


Tip 1For a thicker coating, coat pickles in the dry mixture first then in the wet mixture and then in the dry mixture again.
Tip 2If you let the pickles rest in the dry mixture and dry out a little the coating will stay on better when you fry them.

No comments:

Post a Comment