Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Free Recipe Wednesday! (Chicken and Cream Cheese Taquitos)

Hello again friends! Is it really Wednesday again already? The weeks just seem to fly by these days yet the weekends never come fast enough and never last long enough do they? So this week's Free Recipe Wednesday is going to be a good one. My wife and I make taquitos at least once a week, mainly because they're delicious but also because corn tortillas are gluten free and my wife is allergic to gluten. This recipe calls for flour tortillas but I'm certain they'll be just as delicious with corn tortillas. We usually cook up ground beef with taco seasoning and cheese for cheesy taco taquitos but lately we've been trying other fillings because taquitos are such a versatile food. So far we done shredded chicken with cheese as well as breakfast sausage with cream cheese (super delicious!) in addition to our standard taco filling. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas on what to use for fillings so when I came across this recipe a couple of days ago on one of the many cooking sites I visit I knew I had to share it this week. It looks amazingly delicious from the pictures and I honestly can't wait to try them. I hope you all enjoy this one. Give it a try and drop me a comment below to let me know what you thought of them.

Chicken and Cream Cheese Taquitos

  • 3 cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
  • 6 oz Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup Sour Cream
  • 1/2 cup Salsa
  • 1 1/2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups Chopped Baby Spinach, stems removed
  • (6-inch) Flour Tortillas or Corn Tortillas
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Vegetable or Canola Oil

    1. In a large bowl mix together the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, cheddar and spinach; season with salt and pepper to taste.
    2. Add 2 spoonfuls of the chicken mixture across the center of a tortilla; roll up and set seam side down on a platter.
    3. Repeat step 2 until all the tortillas are filled and rolled.
    4. Add enough oil to a large skillet to generously cover the bottom of the pan; heat on medium to medium-low heat.
    5. Cook taquitos in batches, turning to brown each side; remove to paper towels to drain.
    6. Serve with your choice of dunking sauce.

    NOTE: If using corn tortillas do not roll them all up in advance. Your corn tortillas will begin to crack and fall apart before you're ready to cook them. Instead, lay out 3 or 4 at a time on a plate and roll them up just before placing them in the oil.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment