Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Free Recipe Wednesday! (Avocado Fritters with Avocado-Cilantro Cream Dipping Sauce)

Hello again food lovers!  Welcome to this week's Free Recipe Wednesday.  I can't quite remember where I found this recipe since I'm always looking at websites, magazines, and anything else food related that I can get my hands on.  I do remember though that when I first saw this recipe it immediately reminded me of the corn fritters that my mom used to make when I was younger and still lived at home.  Sorry mom but these avocado fritters look way tastier though.  That's not to say that my mom's corn fritters were bad because they weren't, they were freaking amazing, but the ingredients in this recipe just add so much depth to the flavor profile that I just can't imagine them not being even more amazing in their own way.  I personally can't wait to try these.  As always, feel free to post comments below.

Avocado Fritters with Avocado-Cilantro Cream Dipping Sauce

For the fritters:
  • 2 cups Self-Rising Flour
  • 1¾ cup Cornmeal
  • 2 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 6 oz Cheddar Cheese, diced
  • 1 cup Roasted Corn Kernels
  • ½ cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
  • ½ cup Sweet Onion, diced
  • 2 Jalapeno Peppers, seeded and diced (more or less to taste)
  • 4 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste)
  • 2 Avocados, diced

For the dipping sauce:
  • 2 Avocados, mashed
  • ½ cup Sour Cream
  • ¼ cup Milk
  • 1 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

1.  Pour 2″ of vegetable oil into a deep fryer or a heavy skillet and heat to 350º.
2.  In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; stir to combine. 

3.  Add eggs, milk, cheese, corn, onion, peppers and cilantro; stir to incorporate. 
4.  Gently fold in avocados.
5.  Scoop batter into heaping teaspoons and gently drop into oil. They are done cooking when golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 200º oven.
6.  Prepare dipping sauce by mixing all ingredients in a bowl. If you want a smooth consistency, process in a blender or food processor for a couple minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment